Thursday 21 October 2010

One Night at the Octagon

What an utterly bizarre evening.

I got home to discover that we're getting a lovely burgundy-plum leather suite for the living room (His Lordship's folks want to go for something different) and that we were going out to the theatre. Needless to say I was quite pleased, though a little wary as the show was "That'll be the Day."

As far I could see, it was going to be a cheesy oldies Rock'n'Roll show. From what we actually saw, it WAS a cheesy oldies Rock'n'Roll show, with comedy thrown in. And it was GREAT! The first half, I admit I didn't know some of the acts - but then they had a ... well, not a grand finale, because it was for the intermission, but a pretty stunning Beatles blend. The second half leapt straight in with the Blues Brothers. It's one of my favourite movies and the cast did a superb rendition.

But it was the intermission that really made me laugh. I went out the front with His Lordship Senior to get icecreams and was amused by him asking for "One of that, that, that and that - in fact, two of everything. Don't look at me like I'm an idiot, I want these icecreams. I have a fiver, that should cover it, yes? Oh, and I'd like two ice lollies too." The vendor looked bewildered and stacked the whole lot in the box - 14 tubs of various icecream flavours (the chocolate is fabulous BTW - this is one of the few we had left over and had to put in the freezer). She then counted them up, "2, 4, 6, 8..." and came to a conclusion. "£2.60."

I'd been giggling at HLSenior's requests of multiple icecreams anyway, but I nearly died laughing as he looked somewhat puzzled and handed her a £20... and she gave back £17.40 in change.

"Are you sure that's right?" So, she counted them over again - "£2.60!" Her colleague leaned in and looked concerned, counted them over for herself. "No... that's 14 tubs and 2 ice lollies - £30." We went away with our stacks of frozen dairy and HLS goes "Should have offered her £20 for the whole damn trolley, shouldn't I!"

I swear on absolutely ANYTHING that it happened - it was like something from a Derren Brown show. I wish I'd have filmed it because no-one's going to believe me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm sorry, Amber's not at her computer right now - please leave a message and she'll get right back to you as soon as she can!

Thanks!

*beep*