Sunday 24 July 2011

Facing up to Fears...

Normally, I can take ANYTHING. Big white girl like me? Sure. Bring it. Unless it's a baby lizard. Then I'll probably curl up in a ball with it going "ooooooh, cuuuuuuuute." So yeah, I'm a tough cookie, and very little fazes me.

But unfortunately, I have a bit of a problem with needles.

Let me get one thing clear: I don't scream. I don't run away or puke. I don't faint (actually, that would probably be easier - then you wouldn't know about it). I get very anxious, then ... I suppose the word would be "fraught". It's hard work, embarrassing and frustrating for all involved, especially me. I did manage to get a tattoo done, but that's different to having an IV line inserted.

I have discovered that all the advice out on the internet for dealing with Needle Phobias is a bit crap. There's nothing rational about being scared of needles - that's why it's called a phobia. The fact remains that you just have to suck it up, breathe slowly and try to get on with it - but of course, that doesn't help. So this will be a journal of how I'm trying to face up to the debilitating fear of cannulas and hypodermics. This is a journal of a world-class chicken making a leap of faith.

Bring it on - I'm actually starting to look forward to Wednesday. (I'm having a blood test done as a start and might even brave enough to give blood in a couple of weeks. Perhaps. Maybe. I'll think about it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm sorry, Amber's not at her computer right now - please leave a message and she'll get right back to you as soon as she can!

Thanks!

*beep*