Thursday 2 December 2010

Something Delicate for Christmas.

Most Christmas trees are green, but this one is especially so; it's environmentally friendly! Sydney has taken the concept to a whole new level: building theirs out of 100 old biked donated by a local recycling company. The tires were given a multi-colored makeover to make them look like holiday lights! Even the "star" at the top of the tree is made of bicycle parts- look closely, and you'll see it's made of front forks and tires! (Pic: from here.)

I did spend far too much on baubles today by accident though. Oops... But I love baubles. As soon as they come out in the shop, I have to go and have a look. My first set of baubles for my very own Christmas Tree (gold and sparkly tree!) were in chocolate browns and golds. The second lot were in peacock greens and blues. The current ones are in startling fuchsia pinks and next years are emerald greens... Yes, I've bought most of next years already...

My tree is half-made too - but it IS the first of December. Some people are kooky over shoes, daffy over handbags, spend hours looking at jewellery - me, I like baubles. They're like jewels for my house that I can display for just a few weeks a year. I get to wrap them up with infinite care and store them safely away, to rediscover them next year. Wonderful!

I think it might actually be my Stepmother's fault - she was quite, quite strict about me not going near her tree because of the glass baubles, and I used to have to dry my hair with a hairdryer on the bottom step, right next to it (so she could make sure I did it properly. I've never owned a hairdryer since! :D). I'd be sat there in the cold hallway and it would sparkle in the dark - little clear bulbs reflecting in the clear glass icicles and balls. The fleeting nature and fragility appeal too...

That's why these wonderful pictures my Mum sent me have captivated my attentions - bubbles that froze over, caught with a macro lens. Oh, and this made me smile too; thanks go to Hanny for finding this wonderful little movie...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm sorry, Amber's not at her computer right now - please leave a message and she'll get right back to you as soon as she can!

Thanks!

*beep*