Tuesday 30 November 2010

To Catch a Falling Star...

My gemstone arrived! A wee 1.25 carat carved from the Northwest Africa 4502 meteorite. Landed in Algeria, December 2005, this carbonaceous chondrite (CV3) is a remarkable example of it's kind and I'm delighted to have a tiny piece.

CV3type meteorites are rumoured to have been the beginnings of life on earth, as their organic composition could well have brought down the amino chains required to kick things off on our prehistoric planet.

Not only that, but how cool is it to have what is essentially a fallen star? After all, everyone has diamonds in jewellery - but how many people have cut meteorites with the history behind it?!

"NWA 4502 CV3 is a very rare type of meteorite, a Carbonaceous Chondrite, (CV3). It is shock level 1 and weathering level 1. This stuff is going up in price so fast that I can't even keep up with it. It has doubled in price a few times over the past 2 years." - Meteorite collector/seller. (Image: T. Bunch and J. Wittke, NAU, owned by A. Aaronson.)

Though I had to laugh when I found this particular quote: "I know that this meteorite will not be high on some people’s list since they need fusion crust and attractiveness in the shape of the individual; I like that too most of the time. But, sometimes the insides are so fresh or, like with 4502, the chondrules so abundant - I just ignore the outside ugliness and love the beauty within."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm sorry, Amber's not at her computer right now - please leave a message and she'll get right back to you as soon as she can!

Thanks!

*beep*