Friday 27 April 2012

Top Teeth

As many of you know, I'm not a fan of needles. Or pointy things. And dentists have oh such a variety of pointy things, needles and probes and drills and all such unpleasantnesses.

Now, I'm a tough cookie - I've sweated it out and put up with it when I've had to go to the dentists each time. It's a fact of life and you just have to put up with it. I'm also fortunate enough to have rather strong teeth - 26 years old and I still haven't had a single filling - see?

And I don't intend to start any time soon. Yeah, you've probably noticed the weird white stuff in the grooves of my molars.

My dentist understands I don't like medical procedures so, after discussing thoroughly and agreeing my teeth are actually in reasonable condition, he was happy to proceed with this slightly unorthodox treatment.

That white stuff is actually a special dental sealant - it's designed to coat the tops of the molars like a varnish,  protecting your teeth against invading bacteria and food particles that cause caries, which lead to cavities - for up to ten years. It also gives your teeth time to remineralise, as the surface is protected from wear and tear.

Most people don't know that the grooves in their back teeth are actually much deeper and thinner than they appear, so much so in fact, that very few toothbrush bristles will ever be able to get in there to properly clean. That's why most people get cavities in their back teeth first.

Having the treatment done was relatively painless and VERY quick - I saw the hygienist first to have them cleaned and descaled, before having a wash of "etching" fluid - phosphoric acid over the selected teeth. Not only did this allow the tooth to be totally cleaned and dried, it meant the coating would stick better. The coating was applied with a syringe, and then a UV sterilising setter was applied.

The end result is this whitish smooth covering - it feels a little like I have been chewing on a candle and got wax stuck in my teeth. But it will be well worth it, such a little work for ten years preventative against further dentistry.

After all, my choices are these teeth, or fake ones. And I think I like my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm sorry, Amber's not at her computer right now - please leave a message and she'll get right back to you as soon as she can!

Thanks!

*beep*