Wednesday 30 November 2011

Driving the Dragons

It's been a tough week, scrambling to get as much as possible packed. I'm just hoping the boys are prepared for how much stuff we HAVE. The vivariums alone take more than 36 cubic feet of space, and there's my bike...

I'm being sent on ahead, folded up in the back seat of an overloaded Ford Fiesta, wedged down the side of two aquariums, a poly box containing the axolotls, a container full of gecko and waxworms (he thought it was an extra long lunch break) and a big basket full of dragons.

His Lordship would be following up tomorrow with our stuff in the vans - I was running ahead to safely transport the animals and make sure the rental property was ready to move into.

Several hours of pins and needles later (Nan likes the... uh, scenic route) we stopped off for some lunch. My confidence boosted by the fact that the dragons had happily dozed for the last few hours, I left them in the car whilst we nipped into Morrisons for 20 minutes.

On returning, I discovered little Hyphen sat ON the basket, restrained from exploring the car only by his leash tied round the handle. I opened the basket and discovered the other three dragons gazing up at me mournfully - Hyph had securely tied his travel companions with their own leashes.

I let Hyphen sit on my headrest to pull faces at the cars behind whilst I untangled the others. Sandy felt a little travel sick and promptly tucked herself back under the blankets to resume sleeping. Old hand Tsam was quite content to continue snoozing and Mocha wanted nothing more than to explore - when she has her leash on, it usually means she's going for a walk!

For more proof that lizards are smart, have a look at this cool little article: http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/news/4513/clever-lizards-surpass-expectations

11 hours of pins and needles is no fun. Is there a world record? Or just a much higher DVT risk?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm sorry, Amber's not at her computer right now - please leave a message and she'll get right back to you as soon as she can!

Thanks!

*beep*