Wednesday 10 December 2008

Messing with Minds.

My mother is always one for subverting the truth, and I mean that in it's literal term, to corrupt what we believe to be correct. And in fairness, I do believe she SHOULD have a reputation for it. She was telling me the just the other day how she was using the sewing machine with both hands, my brother, watching, fascinated. The foolish boy asked how it worked. And do you know what Mum told him? She told him that you had to rest your hands on the metal of the machine and concentrate really, really hard. "I got him to put his hand on the metal and think, so every time he frowned in concentration, I made it sew a few stitches." The poor boy was amazed until Mum fell about laughing and pointed out the foot pedal under the table.

If you can't trust your own mother, who can you trust? But I have to admit, it's opened our eyes and simply taught us that we must never take anything someone says for granted, for the real deal, and that we must always assess the situation ourselves. (Image thanks to http://www.sedonaobserver.com/)

Shamefully I admit, it's not just my brother; it's all of us at one point or another. My personal saga is "The Chicken Berries". Very simple concept. Chickens grow from eggs. We all know that. But Chicken Berries are planted, watered well, left for a couple of days - and lo, behold - a chicken is growing! In all fairness, my Mum did use chicken feet from the local butchers. Apparently I was convinced for quite some time - until one fell over.

Related Quote of the Day: "Plus it's so funny to mess with a child's head." - Yes, my darling Mother. Thanks.

1 comment:

  1. Mooo ha ha ha!
    (that's mumma's version of an evil laugh)
    now insert the all too familiar muttley wheeze.....


    but, darling child, i have always been truthful when it really counts. would i ever steer you in the wrong direction when it matters? if there is just one thing i've done well in my life, that has been raising my babies. you have all been (and still are)the center of my universe and i would die for any and all of you.

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry, Amber's not at her computer right now - please leave a message and she'll get right back to you as soon as she can!

Thanks!

*beep*